Can I buy a stripped lower receiver in California? Need some advice!

I’m really looking for some clarification on purchasing a stripped lower receiver in California this year. :thinking: I’ve heard mixed things about the legality and what steps I need to follow to do this correctly. Here are some specific questions I have:

• Is it legal to buy a stripped lower receiver in California in 2023? I’ve seen changes in the laws and want to make sure I’m following them.
  • Do I need to go through a licensed dealer, or can I purchase directly from someone? What’s the best avenue for ensuring compliance?
  • Are there any specific shipping regulations I should be aware of? I don’t want to run into any issues while trying to make a purchase.

If anyone has experience with this or can point me toward the right resources, I’d really appreciate it! Thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

Yes, you can buy a stripped lower receiver in California, but there are specific regulations to follow. You’ll need to purchase it from a licensed dealer and go through a background check. Make sure you have a valid ID and be prepared for a 10-day waiting period after the purchase.

That’s right! California has strict laws, so always double-check the dealer’s credentials. It’s better to be safe than sorry!

Also, keep in mind that you will need to fill out a Firearms Transaction Record (form 4473) during the purchase. Make sure everything is current and correct; errors can delay your purchase.

Great point! This form is crucial for the entire process. Don’t forget to ask the dealer if they have any specific local requirements too.

Just a heads-up, if you’re a first-time buyer, it might take a bit longer due to the background check. But once you have your lower, you can build your dream gun!

Exactly! The excitement of building your own firearm is worth the waiting period. Patience is key!

5 Likes

Make sure to familiarize yourself with Proposition 63 as well. It pertains to ammunition and firearm safety, and while it doesn’t specifically cover lower receivers, knowledge is power!

Good reminder! It’s essential to keep updated with state laws, as they can change frequently. You don’t want to end up in a legal pickle!

One thing I learned the hard way: always read the warranty and return policy of the dealer before purchasing. You want to be sure you’re covered in case things go wrong.

4 Likes

Absolutely! Knowledge about warranties can save a lot of hassle later. Plus, it can be very revealing about the dealer’s reliability!

Don’t forget to check your local laws as well. Sometimes, city or county regulations can be more stringent than state laws.

True! The last thing you want is to unknowingly violate a local ordinance. Stay informed!

8 Likes

Just keep in mind that the process can feel a bit daunting, but it’s straightforward once you understand it. Good luck with your purchase!

5 Likes

Yes, you can buy a stripped lower receiver in California, but you’ll need to work with a licensed dealer. Make sure to check out local gun shops that focus on compliance. It’s best to do some research ahead of your purchase!

I found that shops like Turner’s Outdoorsman and 2A Zone offer great customer service and have a solid reputation. Definitely check them out!

I’ve had a good experience with Davis Fork Guns. They have a friendly staff and a good selection of stripped lowers. Make sure you ask them about any upcoming sales too!

8 Likes

Has anyone tried ordering online for a stripped lower receiver? I’m curious if it’s allowed in California since I usually go through local shops.

Yes, online ordering can be tricky due to shipping regulations in CA. You’ll still need to have it shipped to a licensed dealer. Just make sure the dealer handles the transfer!

I think it’s crucial to find a dealer you can trust. I had a bad experience with a shop once, but I’ve heard good things about Rifle Gear. They seem reliable based on reviews.

3 Likes